FC Isle of Man crest

Report: FC Isle of Man 1 vs 3 Kendal Town

Off the back of a disappointing home result the previous week, FC IOM were looking to kickstart their 2023 with the visit of Kendal Town. Manager Paul Jones named an unchanged squad to the previous fixture aiming to keep some familiarity amongst personnel.


Early on it was evident the match was due to be a physical battle between the sides which lacked clear cut chances in the early stages. Kendal Town found the breakthrough in the 13th minute, a free kick into the box from the right hand side caused a disturbance in The Ravens box, with the home side failing to clear their lines, it unfortunately deflected of Jack Mcvey to put the traveling side 1-0 up.

The opening 25 minutes presented little chances for either team, both struggling with the windy conditions on the day. Hitting the half hour mark, FC IOM began to look more of a threat on the counter with their pace going forward, captain Ste Whitley received a through ball from striker Tom Creer with but the captain’s shot was well saved by Kendal Goalkeeper Daniel Roccia. The resulting corner found centre half Jamie Corlett, who’s header was saved and parried to Striker Furo Davies, Davies resulting header seemed to cross the line from the stands but was waved away by referee Jacob Widdowson.


The home side came out with a much more energetic approach in the second half, putting Kendal Town under pressure early on as Tom Shimmin was introduced at full back for Jacob Crook. Moments later a penalty was awarded to The Ravens for a foul on Furo Davies in the opposition’s box. The ever reliable Jack McVey converted the resulting penalty, calmly finding the bottom left corner to equalize.

FC IOM’s lead did not have longevity, on the hour mark Kendal Town full back James Stanley’s cross caught the wind with keeper James Rice misjudging the flight of the ball which subsequently put the traveling side ahead 1-2. The conditions on the night proved to be difficult for both keepers, as Daniel Roccia miskicked moments later almost seeing the ball find the back of his own net as he managed to scramble back in time to clear.  

Kendal Town had the upper hand in the final third of the match, but were met by keeper James Rice who made some great 1 on 1 saves. Approaching the final 15 minutes Tom Creer made way for winger Charlie Higgins as we looked to inject some pace into the game, with midfielder Kyle Watson also exiting for Ronan McDonnell to provide steel to our midfield.

The game was effectively finalised by substitute Finley Lynch, as he took the ball round James Rice to put Kendal Town 1-3 ahead.

McDonnell and Higgins did make an impact from the bench, with one cross-field pass from McDonnell in particular finding Higgins on the left hand side who beat his man and hung it up to the back post, Furo Davies was unmarked in the box but narrowly headed over the bar.

A welcome back-to-back appearance was given to Club Captain Frank Jones in the latter stages as Furo Davies made way. Jones showcasing his experience running the lines and giving the Kendal Town defence a new problem to think about.

The match fizzled out before the referee blew the whistle for full time as Kendal Town took home 3 points, which were well deserved on the day. Manager Paul Jones will look to rally his side as they prepare to travel for a midweek fixture at Squires Gate, where on the ‘road’ they have enjoyed some recent success.

The Man of the Match was awarded to Kendal Town’s playmaker Shaun Sailor by matchday sponsors Boal & Co.

As always, we thank and appreciate our home fans support as they continue to show their loyalty at this difficult period for The Ravens and look forward to seeing them again in the next home fixture.